Monday 30 January 2017

Contributing To package.json For 'queried'

For Lab 2, our assignment is to find an open-source project that has 'keywords' metadata missing from its package.json file.

The project I have chosen to help fix a bug with is 'queried': https://www.npmjs.com/package/queried







































As you can see, there are no Keywords, as well as no open pull requests or open issues on Github. This tells me that nobody has seen this small detail as yet. So I'm going to fix it!!

First I must FORK their project into my own Github account at: https://github.com/Blackweda

I should make sure that I'm already logged in to my account on Github, then visit the site for their project files by clicking No open pull requests link on their site. It will take me to: https://github.com/dfcreative/queried/pulls, where I'll fork their project.



After pressing Fork, I saw this page:






































Now that we have it inside my github account, I will work on it.

For now, I will edit the changes inside the Github account on my browser. I'll open the package.json online editor, add keywords section with the necessary metadata details, add a commit message, create new branch called Blackweda-patch-package-json-keywords, then click Propose file change.


Now that I've completed that, I have to complete the pull request page:





























































I clicked the 'Create pull request', and on the next page I clicked 'Merge' button... However, it appears that I only made changes to the master branch of my copied version!! I need to figure out how to actually make the request to the original project creator.. Give me 5 minutes...

Okay, if you take a look at the top of my 'Open a Request Pull' page, you can see Base-Master ... Blackweda-patch-package-json-keywords. I never specified for it to go back to the original guy! Let's try and fix that.

I went back to the main page of Blackweda/queried and clicked the header Pull Requests again. This time I can see the proper designations after clicking 'New Pull Request':






Hopefully this works now!! I click and now see this:


Et voila!! My request now appears on their github page!!! So cool!!!

https://github.com/dfcreative/queried/pull/1

---------------------------------------------------------

I would say that this lab (taking it step-by-step) took me probably about 45 minutes to complete. I followed the instructions online for forking and creating a pull request, and I double checked how to properly include 'keywords' in the package.json file (proper syntax).

At first when I thought it was done, I was mistaken. I had only merged my branch file to my own master file... After that I made another Pull Request and specified a comparison between the creator's master branch and my patch branch... once that happened everything synced perfectly! I am awaiting a response from the creator, until then, my post is DONE!!

================================

Okay checked back a day later... the creator didn't make any response, they just added the new code to their package.json file... so its done now.

No comments:

Post a Comment